Monday, July 29, 2013

Day 23: Extinction Burst and Banana Bread

WASSSSSUPPPP?

There are things I must tell you:

1. On Sunday, I got a bee in my bonnet and did some baking. I made Banana Bread (gluten and gluten free) for the office with out putting any of it into my mouth hole. It was bizarre. I didn't feel any sort of need to consume it or taste the delicious batter. Generally, in the past, only about half of the baking would make it into the office because I was "making sure it tasted ok". HEH.

SO delicious ... but meh.
2. I learned a new term. EXTINCTION BURST.

"While extinction, when implemented consistently over time, results in the eventual decrease of the undesired behavior, in the short-term the subject might exhibit what is called an extinction burst. An extinction burst will often occur when the extinction procedure has just begun. This usually consists of a sudden and temporary increase in the response's frequency, followed by the eventual decline and extinction of the behavior targeted for elimination. Novel behavior, or emotional responses or aggressive behavior, may also occur"

AND

"The evolutionary advantage of this extinction burst is clear. In a natural environment, an animal that persists in a learned behavior, despite not resulting in immediate reinforcement, might still have a chance of producing reinforcing consequences if the animal tries again. This animal would be at an advantage over another animal that gives up too easily."

Basically, it's the thing where you are doing well on changing a habit and then all of a sudden your brain starts thinking of ways to undo your progress. It happened to me on Saturday. All of a sudden I had a deep craving/thought-hunger for donuts. WTF, brain! I didn't follow thru .. but it was disturbing because it was just all of a sudden. DAMN YOU, EXTINCTION BURST.

3. FEAR PANTS

I am happy to report that I no longer own any FEAR PANTS. But Jen, what, pray tell, are FEAR PANTS? I will tell you. FEAR PANTS are the pants you have in your closet that you are afraid to wear because they may be uncomfortable.

I no longer have FEAR PANTS. I tried on every single pair of pants I own (even those ones in the bag that I was planning to give to Goodwill) and each one fit. I mean ... some of them are still not super amazing ... but they fit. AND I AM NOT AFRAID OF THEM.

No comments:

Post a Comment